Sunday, December 21, 2014

DIY Dining Table and Chairs

I know this is very late (sorry) it has been a slow weekend. It's been tough to drag my butt out of bed this week and get stuff down so I apologize for a very late blog post. This post will probably just turn into one really long post to catch up!

As I have already stated we are re-doing our house since we decided not to move. We decided to get some new furniture and keep some old. The old furniture is getting a bit of a makeover though. This week it has been the dining room table and chairs. We decided to give them a coat of paint and make some cushions. 

We bought the table and four chairs about two months ago for $20 at a Goodwill.

Table and chair before.

This is one of the chairs before. 

We started off sanding the finish off of the chairs. We sanded everything but the wicker seat.

Jerry sanding away.

After sanding we started painting. Since the color theme for our kitchen will be mint, grey, and white, we chose the color Amish grey for paint.


 Paint $2 for 4 bottles. 



After painting which took 2 days, we then added a gloss to seal the paint, which took another day. At this point I dug out an old egg crate mattress we had and decided to use that as the cushions. 

Merlin had different plans.

The seats were 18 inches in diameter, and I got really lucky because our laundry baskets are the same. I used those as a template.

Keeta is covering my small screw-up.

We have four chairs but wanted to double the cushion so two pads for each chair. After cutting out each circle I stapled two circles together for a total of four cushions. 

Nugget and all the other cats at this point were using the cushions as cat beds!

We bought some mint colored cloth and I sewed those to the cushions, using a simple whip stitch that did not go all the way through the cushion, just the top layer. 


The cushions are still not quite done as I haven't cut off the excess fabric and I still have one more cushion to finish sewing. I also plan on adding some ties to the back of the cushions to hold them on the chairs.


But so far this is how the chairs have turned out. (We still have the table legs to sand and paint). Jerry and I are very happy with how they turned out. We look forward to doing some other DIY-er's with our other furniture. All in all this project was also really inexpensive!

As for other news this week, Jerry and I may end up moving after all (we just can't make up our minds). One of Jerry's jobs involves running a civil war muster. At their last board meeting he was offered the exciting possibility of living on the grounds in their historical house for free as its caretaker! We are so excited! Now it is, still, only a possibility, but it is super exciting and one of our dreams come true!

Christmas plans are also coming together and we are looking forward to spending the holidays with family. Also my birthday is this coming week and I'm pretty excited!

That's all for today, I'll post this week's baby to-do list tomorrow and bumpdate the day after that!

Until tomorrow,

Charity



No comments:

Post a Comment