Wednesday, April 29, 2015

Childbirth Class, Hospital Tour, and Preregistration


Mostly this is just an update on where we are. Jerry and I attended our childbirth class two weeks ago and it was very informative. We practiced some breathing exercises, watched a few birthing videos, and had a lot of questions answered about what to do, when and where to do it. This class really helped to set our minds at ease about what to expect from our hospital and staff specifically. We knew a lot about what happens in labor going in, so this allowed us to kind of organize our thoughts on how we wanted the whole process to go. 
In fact, I even updated our birth plan afterwards in a few areas I was unsure of. For example, after our birth class I discovered our hospital does not provide a "walking" epidural. A walking epidural is a much lower dose of epidural and allows you to still get up and move around while having contractions, compared to the full dose in which you need a urinary catheter and are confined to bed for several hours. Since our hospital does not provide the lower dose of the epidural, I have decided to go without an epidural and only take narcotics. I still want to be able to get up and walk around. I really want to shower and be able to use the bathroom on my own.  

After our birthing class they offered a private tour of the maternity ward of the hospital. We had gotten "lucky" and had gotten a very personal tour of the maternity ward a few days earlier as I had been admitted for contractions. It was so nice and comfortable, that honestly I really look forward to our stay there when Olivia is born. The rooms are very spacious, with a dining table, pullout couch, and the hospital bed. Each room has a private bathroom with a Jacuzzi tub. They have a large counter and sink space for drinks and snacks to be stored and also a couple fridges down the hall if you need to keep anything cold. The nurses were amazing and always made sure I had everything I needed. I am very happy with our choice of hospital.

As for preregistration, I had thought we could fill it out sooner if we wanted to, but we cannot. The hospital contacts us when I hit about 36 weeks and will have us come in to fill out all the paperwork for entering the hospital. That way when we do come to labor and delivery in a panic with contractions we can just go up to the third floor, with no hassle.

Tomorrow I am going to try to post a little bit about what you need, as pregnant woman, to carry with you these last few weeks before baby arrives.

Until then,

Charity


No comments:

Post a Comment